Monday, February 13, 2006

Now There Is A Word For It

I present to you the Miriam-Webster Word of the Year.

integrity

Pronunciation: in-'te-gr&-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESS
synonym see HONESTY


In general, I tend to shy away from trendy, corporate, buzz words, they are often over and improperly used. In fact, up until today, you will have found this blog to be completely integrity free. This is probably because the person who writes this blog, did not bother to lookup the meaning of the word, until today.

I like this word, even if it is an over-used, buzz word. I was once asked at an interview, “what does integrity mean to you?” I forget what I said, but I must have given a decent answer, as I did get this job. Since that day, I have actually thought about this answer time and again, here is what I would say today, if I were asked this question again.

Integrity is being able to look at myself directly in the eye, through the looking glass, each and every day. It is making my actions match what I tell my children they should be doing. It is a commitment to myself to like who I am and what I do.

You may find it difficult to believe, but I try to have integrity in my life and it is a difficult thing to accomplish. Yes, I like this word. What is the Word of the Year for you?

I have two more items for the day, the first is my best friend Yna would like to guest post on this blog….she says she has stories to tell about me that you need to know. I am going to let her post, because I don’t have the grace to be ashamed of most of the things that come out of my mouth and/or I was a whole lot younger back then and I have since matured. I will let you decide which is applicable to which story.

The second item is this Simpson’s personality test. I have been laughing about it since Saturday, when I took the test….it does not match my integrity credo, at all, but it is, at least in part, true.



You Are Mr. Burns

Okay, so you're evil...

You have big plans to rule the world, and you'll destroy it in the process if necessary!

You will be remembered for: the exploitation of the masses

Life philosophy: "One dollar for eternal happiness? I'd be happier with the dollar."

I encourage you to take the test.
posted by Ditsy Chick @ 6:48 AM |

10 comments

<< Home